Saturday 17 October 2015

Death of A Dandy

Sebastian Horsely 1962-2010 (17 June) R.I.P.









The Funeral July 1st 2010 - was a very emotional, visually spectacular and enlightening day. From following the horse-drawn-hearse around Soho, to the beautiful eulogies in the church, to seeing lots of old friends at the wake.
Sebastian was buried on Thursday, July 1st 2010. There was a horse-drawn-hearse cortege from outside his home in Meard Street in Soho to St. James’s Church in St. James's Piccadilly were the service was held.




His grieving girlfriend and muse Rachel Garley, whom I met at Submission some 19 years ago, looked so sad but beautiful too. Rachel, now a successful make-up artist, she worked for me on a photo shoot with James & James a couple of years ago. Now she’s also writing Britain’s most outrageous sex column in Loaded. It’s like Sex In The City, but with a lot more sex.






I was sent his book to review for the Club RUB newsletter. Although I didn't feel it would fit in with the RUB criteria, I read it with relish and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've recommended it to many friends as similar path has been trodden!

I met Sebastian in a toilet (similarly as others have). However, we'd been in correspondence via email as I had asked him to do a book reading and signing a my friends book shop.

The week before Sebastian died a large group of us went to see his play, including the friend who owes book shops (she was so pleased to see him again). Afterwards sitting in Soho Theatre bar Sebastian popped in to say hello to the group. A nice touch and something I'm sure he did often.

The streets were lined with people who kept asking "who died?" Such that was the spectacle that paraded throughout Soho.





It was so nice to say hello to Marc Almond again after all these years. He looked very well and we talked outside the church. I hadn't seen Rachel Garley's ex-husband Ian McKell for a good 15 years. Tim Woodward said hello. Robin from Home House. I finally met Kim West after all these years. Plus loads of others including Rubber Ron (Submission).

The church service programme. Photo was given to me as I signed the remembrance book.



Sebastian on whoring.


No comments:

Post a Comment