Thursday 7 April 2016

Vintage Hoods

One of my prized possessions is my collection of vintage hoods. They were bought for me by an ex boyfriend 20 years ago, for Christmas. You see, even all those years ago, I loved hoods.

They came from a BDSM shop in Shoreditch, London called Expectations. We went in one day to see our friend Ash, then the manager, he'd just had some old guy in, selling some stuff. These hoods were amongst various items. Unbeknown to me my then boyfriend purchased them and when I opened them on Christmas day, I cried.




I called the 'sheet rubber' makers Four D (now Supatex) in 2015 and asked how old the company was, they told me it was their 50th year. You see, I wanted to work out how old the hoods were, as I had come to the conclusion they were older than 'sheet rubber' or he would have made them in that.

Fascinatingly, they are all made out our car tyre inner tubes!  All except one. He has replicated armoured hoods, tribal masks and some of the iconic hoods we use today. In fact, there is Dunlop written on a couple and visible puncture repairs on others. Ten years ago I had metal brackets made and now they are on my wall at home, all seven of them, look like trophies.




Only one is framed, as it's flat. That one has been made out of thinner rubber, maybe a football bladder and it has been worn extensively. You can tell this from the numerous puncture repair ovals all around the airways. It's my belief that this was the old man's favourite, much loved and worn hood.


As the popular saying goes, "if the house was on fire and you could only grab one thing..." Well, mine would be my hoods.

Miss Kim x

No comments:

Post a Comment